Wednesday, November 21, 2007

The Power of One

One little person can make a difference.
One little hug can change a life.
One little smile can change the out look of an entire day.

One little child can change the lives of their parents.
One little puppy can change the confidence of a child.
One little friend can inspire another to greatness of self that they didn't know they possessed.

The greatest things in this world start with one little thing.... Any little thing.

May I offer some examples?

Yesterday my wife and I renewed discussion on a subject that has yet to offer us anything but pain and frustration. Admittedly, last night was no different.

As we took a moment to cool the jets and try to return to the subject rationally, I was inspired.
When Lisa returned to the discussion, I reached out and hugged her.

We didn't solve our problem, but the rest of the night was brighter because instead of fighting of defending myself, I offered a hug, and trust that we could resolve the issue.

Lisa's comment was very telling of the change that had occured "If we could handle everything just like that, we could handle anything"

One more example:

Years ago I had a friend. At one point in our friendship I did him a favor. He responded with "Thanks, Bill!"

Some months later he died.

As I tried to come to grips with my grief, I remembered those two words. "Thanks, Bill". The kindness he showed me inspired me to make a life long commitment to helping others, and to become more than what I was then capable of.

Life and inspirations have continued, and my friend no longer stands as my only inspiration; but today, I want to offer in rememberance that the "Power of One", any "One", can inpact lives and worlds far beyond their comprehension.

I'm sure Dave Phillips had no idea what his simple phrase meant to me. The time was right, and the subsiquent events lead that moment to be a moment of change for me.

To anyone who reads this. Remember, the little things COUNT, excellence is gained more in the small and insignificant moments of our lives than in the moments that people see and recognize.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It's funny that you mentioned Dave Phillips. I was just thinking about him a couple of days ago.

He really was an example of what power one person can have.