Saturday, March 8, 2008

Dodging the bullet

After what seems like an eternity, I'm finally finding what I like to call my "voice". Though, of course, it has very little to do with my ability to vocalize.

I'm going on nearly 2 years in my career and I've finally found some direction. (For anyone who knows me, you know I don't just "go with the flow" very well.) I've found my direction, goals, and I now see the path to achieve my ends.

Now for the history necessary to understand my "here and now".

My Senior year at USU, I realized my utter dislike for the world of "Tax", so I proptly lined up all my tax classes to finish immediately, I then took my last semester free from Tax and focused on Audit.

During my Masters year, I avoided every bit of tax I could. My plan was to simply NOT DO TAXES... Murphy, however, won another feather in his cap as I signed with my current employer. Here in Idaho, I have to split my time between tax and audit.

All things have their benefits, I pesonally find my increased knowledge of taxes and law to be a great asset to my professional world.

I have, however, in recent months, figured out how to diret my own career in stead of letting my company define it for me. Therefore, i have finally gotten to focus more and more attention on Audit instead of tax.

Yesterday, I was finishing up the audit presentation to the shareholders and the partner asked if I wanted to join him. I promptly refused citing my large load of tax work that had stalled on my desk.

Later yesterday afternoon, I ran into one of the shareholders at the store and she told me she was unwilling to go to the meeting because it would be so contentious. "Todd", the partner from my firm "would tell it like it is, and there are too many people there who don't want to hear it like it is."

It turns out, I dodged the bullet.

No comments: